With the number of holsters already on the market I had a hard time believing that anyone could truly do anything unique but this holster proved me wrong. This month one of our instructors has finally made available to the public the Brave Response Holster. Here are a few things that make this holster revolutionary:
- It doesn’t have to be hooked or clipped to your belt, boot, or anything. The built in waistband goes around your torso like a belt
- As a waist band holster it can be as shallow or as deep of concealment as you want or as your pants allow
- Its a one size fits all holster meaning that you only need to buy one and it will work for ALL your semi-automatic handguns
- It holds up to 3 spare magazines along with the gun!!! (Or two spare magazines and a flashlight…)
- Takes less time to put on and it conceals better without printing than any holster on the market
- Will fit any waist up to 54 inches
- It will allow for grip mounted lasers (but NOT rail mounted lasers)
There are several significant advantages to the hybrid concept and in my opinion the foremost is stability. These hybrid designs fasten to the belt at two different points and these two clips side widely apart. This creates a very stable holster in the waistband. I find that the gun does not shift around at all when utilizing this design, a gripe that I have with almost any other type of holster. Hybrids are less likely to actually move in position on your belt than other designs, but they also prevent the gun from tilting within the waistband. Most traditional holsters that use a single, or even multiple, clips or loops that are located close together tend to allow the gun to tilt in orientation throughout the day.
In addition the stability of the hybrid holster leads to predictability in position of your gun. Being able to draw your weapon quickly is an essential defensive skill and when a gun shifts around throughout the day in a holster the draw is inevitably slowed. There are some single-clip holsters on the market that do a good job of holding the gun in position if combined with a good gun belt but generally the hybrid design will prove the most stable.
- Glock Semi Automatic Handguns
- Smith and Wesson Semi Automatic Handguns – Excluding C.O.R.E. Models
- Springfield Semi Automatic Handguns
- Sig Sauer Semi Automatic Handguns
- Browning Semi Automatic Handguns
- Kahr Semi Automatic Handguns
- Beretta Semi Automatic Handguns
- Ruger Semi Automatic Handguns
- Walther Semi Automatic Handguns
- FN-Herstal Semi Automatic Handguns
- Colt Semi Automatic Handguns
- Kimber Semi Automatic Handguns
- Heckler and Koch (H&K) Semi Automatic Handguns
- C-Z Semi Automatic Handguns
- Steyr Semi Automatic Handguns
- Hi-Point Semi Automatic Handguns
- Taurus Semi Automatic Handguns
- 1911 style handguns – Kimber, Colt, Sig Sauer, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Turnbull, Magnum Research, Rock Island, Remington, Springfield, Auto Ordinance, Ruger… etc.
A well-made hybrid will typically be quite comfortable since you have a large backer pressed against your body rather than just a small holster possibly made of hard material. I specify the designation of “well made” as I have tried hybrids that are poorly made and very uncomfortable. A well-designed backer tends to disperse the presence of the gun across a wider surface area, this making it more comfortable for prolonged wear.
Hybrids also completely shield the gun from touching the body whereas most traditional IWB holsters do not. This further enhances comfort because the potentially sharp angles of the weapon’s frame or grip don’t push into the skin of the wearer directly, but into the backer instead. This seems especially helpful if you carry a gun such as a 1911 or other type that has exposed hammers and thumb safeties.
These holsters are often highly customizable. Well-designed hybrids often provide the ability to adjust retention on the gun itself, cant (angle of the gun) and even the depth at which the gun sits relative to the beltline. This excellent customization means that hybrids are often capable of accommodating a wide range of users and body types.